National Philanthropy Day is just under two weeks away. Make a plan to roll up your sleeves and get out into your community on 10/20. Share your good work on social media using #phimuserves so all can see your impact.
JUST DO IT on 10/20 (no significant pre-planning or research needed)
- Go through your house and collect items in good condition. Take them to a local organization in need.
- Go through your cabinets and collect non-perishables. Drop them off at a local food bank.
- Cook dinner for an elderly or ill neighbor.
- Babysit for free for a family or friend.
- Walk through your neighborhood or stop by a local park or playground and pick up any litter.
- Gather up your gently used books and videos. Take them to your local hospital for inpatients. Take children’s books and videos your local CMNH hospital.
- Make a monetary donation to CMNH or a local cause.
- Give blood. Find a blood drive near you at (http://www.redcrossblood.org/our-regions).
- Mow or rake a neighbor’s lawn.
INVOLVE OTHERS on 10/20 (some pre-planning & research needed)
- Hold a canned food drive or donate food to a local food bank. Take paper bags for your neighbors to fill and then collect and deliver on 10/20.
- Gather friends or family members to clean up a local park, playground or stream.
- Raise money for CMNH or another cause by holding a lemonade/cider/hot chocolate/baked goods sale on Monday 10/20.
- Hold a car wash as a fundraiser.
- Reach out to local shelters and collect needed items (toys, toiletries, household goods) from friends and neighbors.
- Collect goods for packages for men and women in the United States Military currently serving overseas (for guidelines and ideas visit http://www.military.com/spouse/military-life/military-resources/how-to-support-our-troops.html)
- Collect needed items for an animal shelter.
SHARE YOUR TALENTS on 10/20 (significant pre-planning & research needed)
Find an organization that could use your talents on 10/20.
- Talented conversationalist? Go spend time at a senior citizen center, hospice or nursing home playing games and sharing your company.
- Skilled carpentress, repairwoman, landscaper? Find a church, shelter, school or organization to use your talent for free fix ups or repair. (or do it for a neighbor in need!)
- Know your way around a computer? Support an organization or neighbor with your technical skills
- Willing to serve? Volunteer at a food bank, serve meals at a shelter, help at an animal shelter
- Literary type? Read to children at school, daycare and/or aftercare.
- Event planner? Host a service party for friends, families or children. Prepare sandwiches for a shelter, make cards and care packages for service members, make blankets for an organization in need, decorate delivery bags or make embellisments for Meals on Wheels recipients (http://www.mowaa.org/findameal for locations).