“The symbolism of Phi Mu is a heritage from our Founders, and has been a source of inspiration to all succeeding initiates. It takes for granted an allegiance to lofty ideals, it stimulates worthy and purposeful achievement, and in the personal equation, it challenges the best in all of us.”
– From the “History of Phi Mu Fraternity 1852-1927”
The first Philomathean badge was designed in 1852 by Sarah Amelia Bardwell and created from a $20 gold piece that was given to Mary Ann Dupont (Lines) by her father when she left home to attend Wesleyan.
The current badge is a uniquely shaped shield of gold overlaid with a black shield bearing two bonds, three stars, a hand clasping a heart and the Greek letters “Phi Mu.”
The Phi pin (or provisional/new member pin) is a black and gold shield with the Greek letter “Phi.”
The barbed quatrefoil is Phi Mu’s symbol. It is a very unique shape and can be traced back to early European design.
The rose-colored carnation is Phi Mu’s flower. While the rose-colored carnation in the language of flowers refers to “women’s love and sisterhood,” Lillian Estes (Davis), Alpha, Grand Historian 1907-1908, wrote that “pink carnations are, and always have been, the emblematic flower.”
Phi Mu National Headquarters, located in Peachtree City, Georgia, is home to both Phi Mu Fraternity and Phi Mu Foundation. The 31,672 square foot building houses our leadership training center, library, conference rooms and office space. It also contains a museum, displaying many Phi Mu artifacts and memorabilia that span throughout our history.
Rose and White are the office colors of Phi Mu. This choice can be tracked back to the early days of the Philomathean Society.
Designed in 1904 by Annie Laurie Mallory (Parker), Alpha, assisted by Louise Monning (Elliott), Alpha, the coat of arms displays the open motto of Phi Mu, “Les Soeurs Fideles,” or “The Faithful Sisters.”
Lions have always been a part of our history and are also shown on our Coat of Arms. Our mascot, a lion that we affectionately call “Sir Fidel,” is a name adapted from our open motto, Les Soeurs Fideles. Sir Fidel was created in 1973.