National Philanthropy Day is two weeks away! Make a plan to roll up your sleeves and get out into your community on 10/19.
What is National Philanthropy Day?
In 1999, Phi Mu was the ﬁrst Greek letter organization to introduce a nationwide “hands-on” day of service. National Philanthropy Day encourages members to live the Creed and give back to their community.
By participating in National Philanthropy Day, chapter members will connect with their community, develop a sense of personal responsibility to others and identify ways to make a positive impact. Service is deﬁned as a contribution to the welfare of others or doing something voluntarily for someone else without expectation of receiving something in return.
How can I do my part?
The possibilities are endless! Here are some ideas to get your chapter started on a service project for National Philanthropy Day:
- Hold a canned food drive
- Tutor or read to children in an elementary school
- Rehabilitate or clean a playground, park or riverbank
- Plant a garden
- Put on a bingo game at a local nursing home
- Hold a clothing drive to benefit a local domestic violence or homeless shelter
- Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity
- Serve a meal to the homeless and/or families at your local Ronald McDonald House or American Cancer Society
- Walk dogs at a local animal shelter
- Organize a winter clothing drive for a local shelter
- Volunteer to hand out or pack food at a food bank
- Work side-by-side with your senior citizens group
- Work at a recycling center
- Donate blood
- Paint to improve the looks of your community
- Paint small pumpkins for children in your local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital
- Collect personal care items like travel sized shampoo and tooth paste and donate personal care kits to parents at your local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital or homeless shelter
- Do arts and crafts or play games at your Children’s Miracle Network Hospital
- Collect toiletries for a battered women’s shelter
- Donate videos or coloring books to your Children’s Miracle Network Hospital
- Collect and donate care packages for men and women serving overseas in the military
Still not sure what to do?
Visit Phi Mu Fraternity on Facebook and view photo examples from collegiate chapters from last year’s National Philanthropy Day. Click here. You can also contact your campus volunteer center or local United Way for specific opportunities and needs in your community!
Don’t forget to share your good work on social media using #PhiMuServes so all can see your impact.