Our first chapter of the month featured on the Phi Mu blog has been around for 115 years and was the first chapter to ever receive the prestigious Wesleyan Cup! Read on to learn more about the Tidewater, VA Alumnae Chapter and its members!
Philanthropy/Support of CMN Hospitals
We host a LemonAid Stand; a virtual fundraiser this year and a live LemonAid Stand in the past We periodically provide donations (toys, books, etc.) for Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughters (CHKD), which is our local CMN Hospital. We also visit the hospital. Additionally, we volunteer at various CHKD fundraising events such as Run/Walk for the Kids, Holly Festival of Trees, Breakfast with Santa and phonathon fundraisers.
Fun Chapter Facts
We were the first Wesleyan Cup winner in 2012! We have received additional multiple convention awards for Ritual, Heart to Heart support, Social Media, Newsletter, Aglaia reporting and Programming over the years. Notable chapter members include Frances (Fran) Wilson, Delta Nu (Michigan State University), Lieutenant General, USMC (retired) who received the Outstanding Alumnae award for Contribution to Profession at the Phi Mu National Convention in 2016; Kathy Browning, Kappa (University of Tennessee, Knoxville) is a past Fraternity National Vice President; and Jennifer Jardine, Beta Tau (Drexel University, is a past Fraternity National Vice President and current Foundation Trustee. Toni Sires, Gamma Xi (Old Dominion University) serves as a volunteer in Phi Mu’s Alumnae Engagement Department as the National Alumnae Enrichment Specialist. Past National President Mary Jane Johnson, Gamma Delta (American University) was once a member of the chapter when her husband was stationed in the Norfolk area for the Navy.
Support of Collegiate Chapters
Several chapter members are on the Advisory Council for Gamma Alpha Chapter at the College of William and Mary (both before they were re-established and now as a newer chapter). We had many sisters attend their Installation and we also attend Initiations. Gamma Alpha is our Heart to Heart Chapter – we bought them a swing for their porch when they moved into their new house! We also provide them with study buckets, Heart to Heart day gift bags, Halloween goodies, donations for recruitment and fundraisers, etc. and other items throughout the year.
Staying Connected during COVID-19
Our last in-person gathering was on February 29. We held a Founders’ Day Service and luncheon at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Va. We miss being together in person, but are making the most of this time. We held a virtual wine and cheese social on March 31 for “Phi Mu Night In,” a virtual Executive Committee meeting on April 16, a virtual cocktail happy hour on your porch for Earth Day on April 22 and a virtual Mexican cooking class on May 7. Our upcoming in-person social will be held on Tuesday, June 23 – a happy hour in downtown Norfolk. We’ll meet at a rooftop bar and wear face masks/practice social distancing.
Interesting Facts about Our Members
- Erin Clements, Phi Gamma (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), has been appointed as an NPC Area Alumnae Advisor and Jennifer Jardine, Beta Tau (Drexel University), has been appointed as an NPC Release Figure Method Specialist for the 2020-2022 biennium.
- Julia Wallace, Eta Beta (University of Washington), works for NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey where they produce nautical charts for the safe navigation of all mariners in U.S. waters. Her job centers around seafloor data collection and quality control before the data is added to the charts. Julia collaborated with Tidewater member Erin Clements, who is a high school Biology teacher, to talk about her job at NOAA with Erin’s marine biology class.
- Jennifer Jardine is an electrical engineer employed as a civilian for the US Navy. She designs Machinery and Propulsion Control Systems on Aircraft Carriers and Minesweepers and has had the opportunity to travel all over the world to support the US Navy and our fleet.
- Emily Corlette, Gamma Zeta (High Point University), is a Coordinator for Sail Nauticus and sails.
- Artemis Stoll, Gamma Alpha (The College of William & Mary) is a Personal Assistant for the Owner of Malini’s Classical Dances of India by day; her passion is designing cakes and catering. She got her start over 30 years ago in the Phi Mu house at W&M, cooking and baking for the Gamma Alpha Chapter Supper Club.
If you would like to join the Tidewater Alumnae Chapter or learn more about their successful operations, please contact the Chapter President at email@example.com.