This month, we feature one of our oldest chapters, Epsilon Chapter at Millsaps College. For 106 years, this chapter has welcomed women into our steadfast sisterhood. Read on to learn more about the Epsilon Chapter at Millsaps and its members!
Chapter Name: Epsilon
School Name: Millsaps College
Location: Jackson, Miss.
Date Chapter Founded: 1914
Number of Members: 40
Chapter GPA: 3.728
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- We host an annual Batson Bash, a carnival on campus for our local CMN Hospital, Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children. We have carnival games, food, a silent auction and bounce houses for kids and we invite the campus and local community to attend. Our last event was in 2019 due to COVID-19, and we raised $13,000 for Blair E. Batson.
- Once it starts to get cold, we host “Cocoa for Kids” where we sell hot chocolate in the common student area on campus to raise money for Blair E. Batson.
- Each fall, we host a “Band-Aid Drive” to collect colorful band aids for the children at Blair E. Batson. Our hope is these band aids cheer up patients as the government only funds skin-toned band aids.
Fun Chapter Facts
- The Epsilon Chapter partners with other organizations on campus to serve our community. Last year, we partnered with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. to collect monetary donations and feminine hygiene products for local homeless women.
Points of Pride
- At the 2020 Phi Mu Officer Academy, we received an award for Academic Excellence.
- Summer Ables earned the Albert Godfrey Sanders Award in Spanish at Millsaps.
- Shelby Conerly is the recipient of the Mary Sue Enochs Lewis Endowed Scholarship at Millsaps.
- May 2020 graduate Bailey Carey was the Millsaps’ Sorority Woman of the Year and earned the Gordon Allport Award for the Application of Psychology at Millsaps.
- May 2020 graduate Anna Wilson was Millsaps College Most Distinguished Woman, an inductee into the Millsaps College Hall of Fame, the Charles Sallis Leader of the Year and the recipient of the Lewis and Reiff Award and the Chemistry Department Senior Research Award.
- May 2020 graduate Emma Carter earned the W. Charles Sallis Service in History Award at Millsaps.
- May 2020 graduate Morgan Vincent earned the Chemistry Department Senior Research Award at Millsaps.
- May 2020 graduate Shauna Blady earned the William James Award for Academic Excellence and the Noam Chomsky Psychology Award at Millsaps.
- May 2020 graduate Payton Passantino was the recipient of the Ad Excellentiam Award and the Physics Service Award at Millsaps.
- Alumnae Anna Wilson, Payton Passantino, Shauna Blady, Cailey Ness and Laurel Stringer were recognized in the 2019-2020 Who’s Who of Millsaps College.
Interesting Facts about Our Members
- 35% of our members participate on a Millsaps College sports teams including Track, Cross Country, Volleyball, Swimming, Basketball, Softball and Soccer.
- Members are active across campus in many organizations including Resident Assistants, Choir, Writing Center Consultants, On Campus Tutors, as well as in numerous academic and service organizations.
- Allie Shepler is a member of Phi Mu’s Collegiate Advisory Committee.
- Millsaps’ Masala organization hosts a Diwali Celebration every year and we are proud many Phi Mus participate in the cultural festivities as hosts and dancers.
- We love to participate in other organizations’ philanthropies – we won the last two Lip Sync battles hosted by Chi Omega!
Staying Connected During COVID-19
- Despite COVID-19, we manage to hold Zoom parties for sisterhood events, Bid Day and weekly chapter meetings. Many chapter members hang out virtually on Zoom meetings as a way to stay connected. These meetings started in March, which first consisted of Netflix Watch Parties and online games.
- While COVID-19 has made it difficult to volunteer in our communities, our chapter has donated supplies to the victims of Hurricane Laura and to the local food shelter in Jackson. Multiple members recently donated blood to the Mississippi Blood Services.