This month, we head to Florence, Alabama, to highlight the Theta Alpha Chapter at the University of North Alabama. Read more about how this chapter is staying connected and serving their campus and community.
Chapter Name: Theta Alpha
School Name: University of North Alabama
Location: Florence, Alabama
Date Chapter Founded: 1973
Number of Members: 141
Chapter GPA: 3.4
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- In 2020, we raised almost $5,000 for CMN Hospitals through several events we hosted such as Dancin’ for the Kids and BonnaMu!
- This year, we started fundraising again with “Carnations for a Cause” on campus – we sold rose-colored carnations and gave out cookies!
- We are looking forward to our other philanthropy events that will happen throughout the rest of the year.
Fun Chapter Facts
- Our university and Phi Mu share the same mascot! While Sir Fidel may be a bit older, Leo III is 18 years old and lives on our campus. We love our lions!
- Theta Alpha was the second sorority to be established at UNA, just as Phi Mu was the second to be established in the United States!
Points of Pride
- We have had the honor of participating and winning many events hosted on our campus. In 2020, our chapter was the Step Sing Women’s Division Winner and also the Step Sing Overall Winner. During Homecoming 2020, we won the Homecoming Pep Rally Skit.
- Several of our members participated in the Miss UNA Pageant and placed very well – we’re so proud of them.
- We also won the Phi Mu Fraternity Three Star Chapter Award!
- In January, we came in second place for the Step Sing Women’s Division!
Interesting Facts about Our Members
- Several of our members are involved in other organizations and activities on campus.
- We have members in the athletics department, such as on the UNA Dance Team, the UNA Beach Volleyball Team and the UNA Tennis Team.
- Two of our members are the Parent and Student Head of SOAR (New Student Summer Orientation) and some of our members are SOAR Counselors!
- The list goes on and on … we love the connections our members make through all of these organizations!
Staying Connected During COVID-19
- Our chapter has focused on sisterhood and staying connected during the global pandemic.
- We have shifted to Zoom meetings for many things, and we have worked to keep in-person gatherings safe and fun. We are looking forward to our upcoming Sisterhood Movie Night!