This month, are excited to feature the Zeta Sigma Chapter at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, located just outside of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. Read more about how this chapter is staying connected and serving their community.
Chapter Name: Zeta Sigma
School Name: University of Wisconsin-River Falls
Location: River Falls, Wisconsin
Date Chapter Founded: 1989
Number of Members: 27
Chapter GPA: 3.42
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- This semester we started with a small philanthropic fundraiser selling virtual Valentine’s Day cards for $1 each. We sold close to 100 within three days!
- Our big fundraiser this semester is the virtual 5K April 22-25.
- We also started a Miracle Book Club this semester. Each week three or four of us record videos of ourselves reading a children’s story that we upload to a YouTube channel for the kids at our local CMN Hospital, Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare in St. Paul, Minn.
Fun Chapter Facts
- Each spring semester, we present a Sacred Heart Award. The recipient, selected by an anonymous vote of all members, is someone who the chapter believes shows love in all parts of their life, especially in difficult situations. They are given a necklace that they keep for the year and then pass it down the following year.
- We are the only sorority on our campus that is in the process of starting a scholarship fund for the sisters in our chapter. We are close to our goal and are excited about starting to award scholarships!
Points of Pride
- Over half of our members received a 3.5 or higher GPA last semester. Four of our members earned a 4.0 GPA.
- We weren’t able to have our Greek Week competition this year, but the year before that we won! We are hoping we have the chance to compete and win again next year.
Interesting Facts About Our Members
- The most predominant majors in our chapter are marketing/communications and elementary education. About half of our chapter members are in one of these two majors.
- Some of our members are in other organizations on campus including Aspiring Educators, the Honors Program and the Dance Team.
- We cannot wait to see what our sisters do in their organizations once COVID restrictions are loosened!
- One of our founding members, Lynn Storlien McGraw, is serving her third term on Phi Mu’s National Council!
Staying Connected During the Pandemic
- All of our meetings are via Zoom and at the beginning of each chapter meeting, we put chapter members in breakout groups to have a 10-minute check-in.
- We also started “Lion Gals.” Every member is assigned a new group each week so they can connect more throughout the week!
- We have scheduled at least one sisterhood event each month and have socials with other sororities twice a month – all online for now.