This month, we head to South Florida to feature the Theta Gamma Chapter at Florida International University. This chapter continues to thrive, even during these uncertain times. You can read more about this outstanding chapter below and also in the spring 2021 issue of The Aglaia.
Chapter Name: Theta Gamma
School Name: Florida International University
Located: Miami, Fla.
Date Chapter Founded: 1988
Number of Members: 115
Chapter GPA: 3.45
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals:
- Miracle Man is our chapter’s annual philanthropy to raise money for CMN Hospitals. This year we raised over $7,000 for Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, our local CMN Hospital!
- Every year, we also host Grand Slam, a baseball tournament to raise money for CMN Hospitals. Grand Slam is the longest-running philanthropy event at FIU! Last year we were unable to hold it due to Covid-19 but we look forward to holding it this year.
Fun Chapter Facts:
- Our chapter is the second oldest National Panhellenic Conference organization on our campus.
- Our sisterhood and the bonds we have with one another are so strong, it is easily seen from the eyes of other fraternity and sorority members. Our chapter cultivates and welcomes diversity with sisters from all cultures, races, religions, ages, disabilities and sexual orientations. We are ambitious, with strong member involvement in countless organizations including Relay for Life, Student Government Association, Dance Marathon, Peer Mentor, Peer Advisor, Panther Camp, PERIOD, Student Programming Council, Order of Omega, ODK and Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity.
Points of Pride:
- We earned 5-star chapter status, the highest rank given by our campus Fraternity and Sorority Life Department.
- In 2021, we were the FIU Greek Week first place winners!
- Our chapter has won the FIU Dance Marathon Miracle Cup for the past 13 years!
Interesting Facts About Our Members:
- Mykaya Kelly won FIU FSL Sorority Woman of the Year.
- Rowan Kelly won the Dance Marathon Pageant and was crowned Miss Roarthon. She raised over $3.5K for Dance Marathon!
- Shay Major was presented with the FIU Panhellenic Sister of Service Award.
- Naty Cordero was recognized as the FIU Junior Leader of the Year.
How We Are Staying Connected During COVID-19:
- While we were unable to meet in-person for Phi Mu events, our virtual events have ensured that members are still able to feel connected to the chapter and our Fraternity.
- At the beginning of the pandemic, our Sisterhood Chairwomen created care packages for every member consisting of a facial mask, hand sanitizer, painting supplies, stickers and a T-shirt. These care packages were shipped and also hand delivered by the Sisterhood Chairwomen to help members feel encouraged and motivated to stay positive through the troubling times.
- Additionally, every other week we hold a virtual sisterhood night for members to bond before our chapter meetings. Some of the most successful have been group “Among Us” game nights, “We are not really strangers” activities and Netflix watch parties.