This month, we are excited to feature the Richmond, Virginia, Alumnae Chapter. This group has been provided alumnae in the greater Richmond area with opportunities to connect and serve since 1940. You can read more about this outstanding alumnae chapter below and also in the spring 2021 issue of The Aglaia.
Chapter Philanthropy Event and Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- Last year, we encouraged our chapter members and the community to give through Miracle Market since The Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU was chosen as one of the 2020 Miracle Market hospitals.
- We held a blanket drive for CJ’s Thumbs Up Foundation, which benefited another CMN Hospital here in Central Virginia: UVA Children’s Hospital.
- The Richmond Alumnae Chapter started a scholarship in our Past President’s memory, the Deirdre Collins Memorial Scholarship Fund Celebrating Virginia Sisterhood. This scholarship will keep close the passion Deirdre had for collegiate Phi Mu women at CNU and VCU along with Phi Mu Virginia residents in general.
- Anyone can give to this fund at https://phimufoundation.org/give/ under Established Funds.
- We have hosted three fundraisers to support the scholarship fund:
- In March, we held a virtual Irish whiskey tasting event to celebrate Deirdre’s Irish heritage and raised over $1,500.
- In May, we hosted a virtual floral arrangement class for Mother’s Day, which raised $390 for the scholarship.
- Through May 15, we are hosting a T-shirt sale. This is a Virginia Phi Mu T-shirt for all members who initiated at a Virginia chapter, live in Virginia, who are originally from Virginia or who have a special connection to Virginia Phi Mu! Shirts can be purchased at https://www.tinyurl.com/VAPhiMu.
Fun Chapter Facts
- We have alumnae members from 19 different collegiate chapters.
- The greater Richmond area encompasses Fredericksburg (about an hour north of Richmond), Charlottesville (an hour west), down to Farmville and Lynchburg (1-2 hours southwest).
- We have several members that live over an hour from Richmond.
Interesting Facts about Members
- Our members come from all walks of life and interests, which is reflected in our chapter activities.
- When we host a planning meeting, we invite everyone to join so women are able to give ideas for activities that they are interested in doing – and we take turns planning and hosting events.
- Examples of events we have held throughout the last couple of years are a Drive Shack/arcade style golfing event, a glass blown pumpkin class event, pop-up events for blowing glass eggs and heart shaped paperweights, wine tastings and a trip to the Phi Mu Headquarters and Macon, Georgia.
- This spring, we hosted a virtual Derby Day with the Charlotte Alumnae Chapter.
- We are planning a relaxing Lake Day in July and also a pink elephant gift exchange event.
Collegiate Chapter Support
- Our chapter supports the Lambda Gamma Chapter at Virginia Commonwealth University as our Heart to Heart match.
- Our nearby collegiate chapters are supported by having some of our alumnae on their Advisory Councils, collaborating on the Deirdre Collins Memorial Scholarship with fundraising and planning events, participating in their Philanthropy events and supporting them during recruitment with snacks.
Staying Connected during COVID-19 Pandemic
- We host monthly Zoom events, mostly on Tuesday nights with different themes including a pizza night, general trivia, Rom-Com trivia and more.
- We feel these consistent Zoom events have really kept us connected during this isolating time and have strengthened our chapter’s sense of sisterhood.
- It’s so easy to hop on a Zoom call – not having to worry about getting dressed up, driving, finding parking, etc. It is much more relaxed and more open to new members to feel comfortable to join.