This month, we head about 140 miles south of Chicago to meet the Delta Beta Chapter at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The women of Delta Beta are eager to return to campus and welcome new members this fall. Read on to learn more about this chapter.
Chapter Name: Delta Beta
School Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Location: Champaign, Ill.
Date Chapter Founded: 2016 (re-establishment)
Number of Members: 101 (before fall recruitment)
Chapter GPA: 3.64
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- This year, we held a virtual card-making event for our CMN Hospital, St. John’s Children’s Hospital in Springfield, Ill.
- We also raffled gift baskets to raise money for St. John’s. Anyone could buy a raffle ticket online and we mailed baskets to the winners.
- Before Covid, we loved hosting in-person events each semester to raise money for CMN Hospitals. Past events include a kickball tournament, a milkshake bar, a hot chocolate bar and a nacho bar.
- We often hold fundraising nights with supportive businesses around campus to donate a percentage of sales to our philanthropy.
- Our chapter also participates in and supports IlliniThon, our campus Dance Marathon that supports Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and St. John’s in particular.
Fun Chapter Facts
- Our chapter house is located on the west side of campus in Champaign. Twenty-eight women can live in our house.
- Past Phi Mu Foundation President, Joan Wallem, is from our chapter.
- Jess Sopko, Director of Member Services on the Phi Mu Fraternity Headquarters staff, is also a Delta Beta.
Interesting Facts about Our Members
- Our members are involved in many campus organizations (we call them “Registered Student Organizations” or “RSOs”) and we have many members on the executive committees of other RSOs such as academic fraternities, an engineering RSO and many more!
- You can see a list of all the organizations our members are involved in at https://www.illinoisphimu.com/on-campus.
Our Chapter’s Signature Events
- Every year, our chapter hosts fun events like Barn Dance, Semi-formal, Carnation Ball, a Phi Retreat and a Sisterhood Retreat.
How We Have Stayed Connected This Summer
- This summer, we all had pen pals and wrote letters to each other!
- We have also shared many interactive Instagram stories and posts to highlight what our members were doing.
What We Are Most Looking Forward to When Classes Start
- We are looking forward to being back together with our sisters and welcoming home a new pledge class!
Advice for PNMs Going through Recruitment this Fall on Any Campus
- Be yourself and you will find your home! A chapter is going to accept you for you. Also, keep an open mind and it will all work out the way it should in the end.
Stay Connected with the Women of Phi Mu’s Delta Beta Chapter!
Facebook: Phi Mu at Illinois