This month, we head about 110 miles southeast of Birmingham, Ala., to meet the Alpha Mu Chapter at Auburn University. For 75 years, Alpha Mu has produced campus and Phi Mu Fraternity leaders and has made a positive impact on campus. Read on to see how this chapter has stayed connected and continues to achieve success. War Eagle!
Chapter Name: Alpha Mu
School Name: Auburn University
Located: Auburn, Ala.
Date Chapter Founded: 1946
Number of Members: 314
Chapter GPA: 3.45
Chapter Philanthropy Event/Monies Raised for CMN Hospitals
- Last year with COVID-19, many of our events were put on pause but that allowed us to take a step back and strengthen our connection with the Children’s Hospital at Piedmont Columbus Regional, our CMN Hospital.
- Over the past year, we have raised over $32,000 for CMN Hospitals.
- We have many planned fun philanthropic events for the upcoming year including several benefit nights at local restaurants, our annual Phi Music Fest and a new tournament called Phi Mu’s Phinest. We also sell Carnations for Kids and host a crawfish boil.
- We also support AU’s Dance Marathon by participating in the Main Event and also hosting a fundraising brunch. We are so proud to have received the top fundraising team award for the past three years. Last year, one of our members, Macie Thomas, was recognized as the top fundraising female for AU’s Dance Marathon.
Fun Chapter Facts
- Panhellenic sororities at Auburn University are housed in chapter halls in The Village, Auburn’s newest student housing. Forty Phi Mus live on our hall!
- Our chapter is unique because of our authentic bond. People always talk about the amazing friends they have made from joining a sorority or try to sell you their sorority during recruitment, but when we are talking about ours, we mean every word we say.
- Chapter meetings on Wednesday nights are something everyone looks forward to because it is the one guaranteed night each week that we will get to see and hang out with everybody.
- The relationship that exists, not just within each pledge class, but also between every member, no matter their grade, is incredible. We are so grateful to be a part of this one big happy family and call Phi Mu home.
Interesting Facts about Our Members
- We are so proud of how willing our members are to get involved on campus and in our community. Some of the organizations our members are involved in include Student Government Association, Camp War Eagle Counselors, Pi Chis, Student Recruiters, AUDM, Auburn Majorettes and Young Life.
Our members are also involved in the EAGLES Program for students with disabilities. Last year was the first year that the EAGLES participated in sorority recruitment and we were overjoyed to welcome home our sweet Anna Moates! Anna loves Phi Mu, everything pink, and especially hanging out with her new friends. You can read more about Anna HERE.
Our Chapter’s Signature Events
- We have our annual semi-formal and everyone’s favorite part is the mashed potato bar.
- Every four years, we have our Carnation Ball – we just hosted this last semester. It is special because all of our members wear long white gowns and our President wears a pink gown.
How Did You Stay Connected This Summer
- We love to stay connected by talking in our GroupMe which we named “One Big Happy Family.” We truly are a big family. constantly blowing up the group chat with the sweetest shoutouts or funniest lion laughs.
- Traveling throughout the summer is also one of our favorite ways to stay in touch with our sisters. It is a great time for some hometown dates and bonding over road trips.
What We Are Most Looking Forward to This Semester
- Alpha Mu is most looking forward to being able to have events in person again and create lifelong memories. We are so excited for all of our amazing social, sisterhood and philanthropy events that our executive team has worked so hard to make better than ever before!
Advice for PNMs Going through Recruitment this Fall on any Campus
- Our biggest advice for PNMs is to be your authentic self. It sounds cliche, but we get asked by PNMs all the time how they can stand out during recruitment. But nobody wants you to change to stand out during recruitment because we want to see you for who you are, exactly how you are trying to get to know us for who we are. This is the best way to find your perfect sorority home where you will be happiest.
Stay Connected with the Women of Phi Mu’s Alpha Mu Chapter!
- Website: auburnphimu.com
- Instagram: @phimuau
- Facebook: @AuburnPhiMu
- TikTok: phimuau